Online chat has now become one of the most popular hobbies and practices in the virtual world. Basically online chat is any software program that works on the client-server model and provides some interface which provides the ability that 2 or more users send text messages to each other. Even if these are the basics of online chat, software and technology advancements have brought a lot of improvements and changes that weren’t present in the early years of chatting online.
Critics often attack the world of online chatting due to a number of reasons. If people don’t like to chat, these are some of the reasons why:
• You have to stay on your mobile device or computer while you should be out to have social interaction.
• Criminals and pedophiles often chose their victims from teenagers who are using online chat portals.
• It’s easy to hide your identity and to trick people while chatting online because you can choose your own nickname, writing style, name, age and appearance – literally everything. Thus, you can easily pretend to be someone who you’re not.
• Abbreviations in all languages are used within online chat sessions and these abbreviations cause damage to every language on the planet because the power of expressivity in that language is reduced and severely damaged through abbreviations.
• Children can stay online if permitted, their minds being totally shaded and emptied by the fascinating world of online chat. Since it would be something new and exciting for any kid, it really causes addiction and causes children not to learn and become agitated unless their parents let them chat.
These critics are right on a lot of sides. The truth is that online chat can only be good to the point where it is not abused. If we have mentioned some of the negative aspects of online chat, let’s now list how you could use online chat to your own benefit:
• You’ve changed your city or even country and you have no friends. Online chat is a great opportunity to meet new friends, but you must be careful to sign up to social networks or chat portals which don’t really allow bad things to happen (such as uncontrolled chat portals do).
• You are working at a company where different offices must work together all the time. Staying on the phone for the entire day is not as practical as chatting with your workmates online to share your experiences and settle your upcoming work tasks in order to achieve the desired progress.
• You are a student and you want to find out what the homework was.
• You want to be able to easily share photos and other files with your family and friends. As mentioned earlier, online chat is enhanced with a lot of things, such as the ability to send and receive files.
• You’re not home for most of the day, but you want to keep some communication with your family, even if your workplace is full of stress and wouldn’t normally allow you to take any time for yourself.
Be it good or bad, online chat does affect the modern society. We can somehow affirm that we’ve all ended up being dependent of online chat communication, which is not necessarily good but it’s not necessarily bad either. It’s all a matter of what you use it for!